The Perfect Food and Wine Pairing For Spring!
by Amanda Donnelly
Shrimp with Sugar Snap Peas
Dopff and Irion Crustaces 2007
Reg. $11.99 On Sale $8.99
The Spring and Summer months are my favorite time to cook. This past weekend, I purchased my herbs, which I cannot wait to start using! The culinary possibilities this time of year are endless! What's more, this is also the time of year I enjoy wine the most - the refreshing whites and roses are my juice of choice.
The wines of Alsace are particularly wonderful as the weather warms. The wines of Dopff and Irion cover the whole range of Alsatian wines, from the delightful varietals such as Riesling, Sylvaner, Pinot Blanc and Gewurztraminer. Located in Riquewihr, Dopff and Irion is a leading producer in Alsace. The firm is the union of two families who have been cultivating their vineyards and making wine since the 16th century.
The past few weeks, I have been hooked on the Dopff and Irion Crustaces, a blend of Sylvaner and Pinot Blanc. It is an incredibly refreshing, crisp wine which is at its best with seafood. And, with it's $8.99 price tag, it is the perfect everyday wine to stock up on. It's just a delicious, fresh, easy-drinking white to enjoy over the upcoming months. I love this wine, and I introduced it to several friends over this past weekend (much to their delight!)
Our friends Lynn Epstein and Iris Feinberg from Mamasays.us have contributed the perfect recipe to pair with this wine - Shrimp with Sugar Snap Peas. (Recipe below wine listing). The peas are perfect this time of year. And the cilantro, spice and honey in the vinegairette work wonderfully with the wine. This combination is perfect as a starter for your next dinner party, or weekend afternoon get-together. What adds to the attraction of this recipe is not only the fact that it's delicious - but it's easy preparation. Several customers tried our last food and wine pairing and emailed me their results and opinions. All feedback is truly welcome! Please feel free to let me know your results!
By conviction and preference the style of Dopff & Irion is dry, natural and clean. The inherent character of the fruit is always emphasized and creates with any dish perfect harmony. Property of Dopff and ... more
On Sale $8.99
Shrimp With Sugar Snap Peas
(Couresty of www.Mamasays.us)
pinch of Kosher Salt
1 lb sugar snap peas
2 lbs large shrimp, peeled
2 medium cucumbers, peeled
1/4 cup cilantro leaves and stems
2 scallions minced
3 T white wine vinegar
2 T honey
1 T ground cumin
1 lime, juice and skin
1 garlic clove, smashed
1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
1. Pull the strings off the sugar snap peas. Boil 2 quarts water with a pinch of kosher salt. Put the sugar snap peas in for 30 seconds and take out with a slotted spoon. Drain under cold water and put aside. Keep the pot of boiling water for cooking the shrimp.
2. Chop the cucumbers into rounds. Set aside in a bowl with the sugar snap peas.
3. Separate the cilantro leaves from the stems. Set the stems aside. Chop the leaves.
4. Put all the ingredients for the vinegairette in a small bowl and whisk until mixed.
5. Re-boil the 2 quarts of water. Add the cilantro stems and the skin of the lime. Add the shrimp and cook for 2 minutes until the shrimp is pink all the way through.
6. Mix the shrimp with the sugar snap peas and the cucumbers. Pour the vinegairette over, and mix well.