Via Caritatis Lux Amoris Red 2018
“The Benedictine monks, thirsting for the Light which deifies, and the Provençal wine growers basked since their childhood in the beams of a dazzling sun, we would like to take you to the summit, to share with you the joy of the moment when the light, unveiling itself, almost blinds us and reveals the secret of a more excellent way.”
LUX: LIGHT, BRILLIANCY, LIFE
The 2018 Lux Red has a beautiful deep red color. The aroma is very intense, with a complex and elegant mixture of vanilla, licorice, and hints of spice. This is a pleasure wine full of red and black fruit that will enchant you! Recommendation: This wine should be decanted two hours before serving.
MONK’S TASTING NOTES: Pairs with cheese, especially aged cheese like Gouda, venison, pork chops, grilled vegetables, and osso bucco.
The thousand and one skills of Ars Vinitoris (the art of winemaking), the unique character of our terraced vineyards in Le Barroux and Upper Beaumont, the search for the woods capable of subtly enhancing our best grapes… and above all, the love with which monks, nuns, and winegrowers work in harmony: this is the path which we have followed to lead you to where the blinding light finally enlightens: the true Light is Charity.
Ineffable Charity: An outstanding wine that brings out the fullness of great days. Its delicate notes of brioche, noble fabrics, and very ripe black fruits, are the mark of a distinguished wine. The silky weave of its ample material and its elegant tannins embellish it with power and suavity.
The Vineyard: This vintage has come from the prime parcels of the Caritatis terroir, chosen right before harvesting for their pronounced aromatic qualities, which will allow the magnificent potential of Le Ventoux to flourish. The Grenache carefully selected from the Southern clay-lime soiled vineyard on the Annunciation Sisters’ hill, in the monks’ old vineyard, as well in other growers’ parcels in Le Barroux and Beaumont, which have mostly a deep layer of clay and lime soil from which comes the powerful and full richness as well as the freshness of these mountain grapes. The Syrah gathered in the sisters’ enclosed vineyard as well in the neighboring growers’ terraces of Le Barroux; they were selected for their strong red and dark berry taste. The Marselan were picked from the higher terraces at the Sisters’ monastery.
Viticultural Work: Beyond all other focuses, “Maintenance and Service” of God’s Creation are the two main axes of our conscientious growing approach. Our philosophy is to let nature, through our vines as well as our other products in Provence, produce its fruits in its own timing: today and… tomorrow. The perfect microclimate along with the famous Mistral, keeping the air clean and healthy, are important agents in accomplishing this goal. The yields are closely monitored according to the different terroirs, vine types, graft carriers, age, and density of the plants.
Vinification and Production: The harvesting is done primarily by hand followed by a very strict sorting in order to keep only the grapes that are perfectly healthy and ripe. Classical vinification occurs in concrete tanks, with a macerating period of 25 days without the stems. The extracting by délestage is done at the beginning of the fermentation; then we perform some light stirring in order to prevent hard tannins from forming. Following the malolactic fermentation, 75% of the wine is aged in concrete tanks for 24 months, and the other 25% is aged in oak barrels. The assembling of the tank-aged and barrel-aged wines is done shortly before the bottling.
55% Syrah, 35% Grenache, 10% Marselan